Monday, March 12, 2007

Cooking for two

Its so much easier to eat right when you're living with someone. I like cooking but its just not worth it just for yourself sometimes, you end up eating leftovers for days and lots of ingredients don't come in small portions so you end up throwing out things that have gone off.

A woman I work with gave me a massive zucchini from her garden a few days ago. There is no way I could have even made a dent in it on my own. So I went out and bought a few more vegies and some cutlets, and since then have made risotto with pumpkin, leek, zucchini and baby spinach; marinated Indian cutlets (barrah kebabs) with roasted vegies; and pumpkin and zucchini scones. All of this used up a quarter pumpkin, at least part of which would have gotten thrown out had I been on my own, and about half the zucchini, which is so thick that the main meals only used up 1 or 2 inches of its length each, and the amount I grated for the scones barely made a dent. May have to knock up a stir-fry to use up some more zucchini, it's far to nice to waste and isn't showing any signs of going off.

[added later]
After looking through some of my old recipes, I've decided to make chickpea patties instead of a stir-fry. The recipe calls for 2 medium zucchinis, so what I have left should do nicely.

til next time, xo

1 comment:

catsmum said...

when will people learn that zuccinis are meant to be picked when they are SMALL ?
Seriously though it sounds like you two are eating well!
David and I were kinda bored and Sophie just had a fit and weeeed all over the quilt in the spare room. That wasn't the kind of excitement I wanted really :[
oh and btw Robyn made you some more slice.