Thursday, May 03, 2007

4am Ramblings

Hello all, I'm on my all night shift which means its time for a catch up post. Hopefully this will be coherant as its 4am and I'm not altogether certain that my mind is funtioning on the higher levels.

Anyway, last friday was the biannual Cirque du Soleil pilgrimmage. Mum and I decided when we saw them the last time they were in Australia with 'Quidam' that we would go see them whenever they came out. They certainly never disapoint. Their latest offering 'Varekai' is visually stunning, dispite the incomprehesible storyline. My only quibble (other than the token clown filler) is that one of the most stunning performances happened to early on, and was difficult for other acts to top. If you have never seen Cirque, I strongly encourage you to do so, I am not into standard circuses (circii?). Cirque su Soliel is in a league of its own. They showcase just what the human body is capable of. Some acts are beautifully fluid and gracefull, fusing dance and acrobatics, others are fast and flashy, either way they are amazing.

After I got back home and mum headed back home to Castlemaine I had a few hours to unwind and relax before the boy got back from work. Relax? hmmph. When mum called me to let me know she was home I slammed my knee into the bed post running for the phone. While I was rolling on the bed clutching my knee I managed to grab the phone and gasp out what had happened. Once mum hung up I hobbled to the fridge to grab an ice pack and put my leg up. It came up in a decent lump immediately and as I had a big night planned for Saturday I needed to do everything I could to minimise the damage. The next day the bump had gone down and the stiffness gradually eased up over the course of the day. It was very tender to the touch for a few days and is still bruised but not sore thankfully and it was ok for Saturday night.

The Melbourne International Comedy Festival was on in April. On Saturday night, Chris and I went to see Tripod and Steven K. Amos. Tripod was good, if you've never heard of them they do musical comedy, or momedy as they call it. Very strange little people, but very entertaining. We had a couple of hours inbetween shows, so we went and had a nice dinner in China Town, which happened to be halfway between the two venues, before going to see Steven Amos at 11.30. Steven Amos is a stand-up comedian from London, and he had sell out shows pretty much every night for the whole 3 week festival, so an extra show was put on for that Friday and Saturday. They happened to announce the new shows the day we got our tickets, so we got row 6 dead centre, which in a sold out theatre of 700 people, is not bad going. He was hilarious, I think being over tired worked for him. Some of the material I had already heard him perform on TV, but it was still good stuff. Afterwards he was signing copies of his cd in the foyer, so I got a photo with him. Chris and I ended up missing the last train so we caught the night rider bus home, and got in about 3am. Bloody good night!

After my eventful Friday and Saturday, Sunday was fairly quiet, mostly spent pottering round at home. Chris came home from work early sick, and still is. He was just sick enough to warrent staying home until last night, but today (well, yesterday really - night shifts muck up my sense of what day it is) he is drastically worse, so today was spent taking care of him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay another post! Your blog would die without your actives.
Still slowly dying here, btw.

Nadie said...

GET BACK TO BED

catsmum said...

and what has the doctor said is wrong with The Boy ?
Glad the knee is better sweety.
btw your Cirque critique is def better than mine... very nice. evocative even :]
I finally posted the photo of you in that elaborate mask. Check it out.
xxx

Anonymous said...

The doctor sounded like he was guessing - some sort of infection. He just prescribed me some penicillin, so I think he's hoping that will fix it.