Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Of Frothy Coffee and Fresh Baked Bread

Well here I am on my first active night since I was off work sick. I don't know how I'll go since I'm still feeling a bit run down and have actually been going to bed before midnight lately (doesn't happen very often for me). It doesn't help that there were casuals on tonight who left the place in a mess. Ah well I'll manage. I brought the xbox with me in case I get bored, although I have a stack of paperwork to do as well as housework so probably won't use it. This is the first night shift I've had since we got the damn thing. The xbox hasn't exactly changed my life, I get sick of it pretty quickly. The boy can play it for hours which is frankly a bit of a worry.

The title of this post comes from me rediscovering my cappuccino machine and bread maker, I've used both this evening and have been making real coffee most days over the past week. Chris and I found really nice ground coffee, I'll have to add the name of it when I remember because it's one of the better one's I've tried, and I do like my coffee. After all I've grown up on nonna's expresso, 2 demitasses of which will have you swinging from the chandelier, and more then three would probably give you heart palpitations. Really should visit her just before an all night shift come to think of it. Anyway back on track, the logic behind using this as the subject of the post is that I have a few different things to talk about, and what better way to catch up than over coffee and warm fresh bread?

The biggest news this week is that my housemate is moving out soon. Chris and I asked her to a few days ago and it turned out she had already been thinking about moving on, which saved us having to go into why we wanted her out. We were able to just leave it at us wanting the place to ourselves, which is true, but its really more to do with us finally having had enough of her attitude to housework and various other issues. No need for things to get nasty though, she has started looking for other places. We have asked her to try to move out by the time we go on holidays. It will mean the rent will go up, but it has gotten to the point where her rent contribution wasn't outweighing the stress of her being there. Now that I know she's going I can't wait, I'm looking forward to the little things, like having the extra space in the bathroom and not having to worry about switching the cars around, which can be a real nuisance at times.

Chris and I are off to mum's on Friday after work, coming back Saturday night. I was going to try to catch up with friends, given that I haven't seen anyone since I got sick almost 3 weeks ago, but mum called the other night to say my brother and sister-in-law are going up on Saturday, and asking if we could come up too. We can't stay Saturday night, so we're going by train so that we can stay later, given that my fog lamps are stuffed and my headlights aren't good enough to trust on country highways at night.

Not long now til our Queensland holiday. I can't wait, winter is settling in now and it will be great to get away for a bit. While I'm at mum's this weekend we'll sort out how we're going to handle getting the cats to her place and back, other than that, everythings taken care of. We'll be going to Townsville for a week or so to start with, then to the tablelands. No idea what they're like but Chris says I have to see them. I know I could just look it up but I'm happy to be surprised. We may stay a night there depending on what his sister and brother-in-law are doing, then on to Cairns for 4 nights. We have to see one of those stupid holiday club presentations as part of the Cairns deal, which includes a beautiful hotel, a reef cruise and dining vouchers, among other things. Can't wait!

Thats all for now, hope you've enjoyed this little catch-up over coffee, we'll have to do this again some time!

Nadie
xox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its Mocha Kenya Style Ground Coffee. Although I'm just as happy with instant coffee, as long as its done my way. Pick the non-Italian one. (My way involves putting a bit of milk in with the coffee and sugar, mixing that up, adding the water, mixing quickly before topping up with milk. Coffee dissolves, but doesn't burn this way. I'm not a fan of the roasted taste.)

catsmum said...

okay Chris you can make your own coffee this weekend then :]
[ actually I used to make it that way myself at one stage ]
Nice to catch up ... must do it again soon.