Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sketches #2 - dragons

I have always been fascinated by dragons, and have been drawing them from quite an early age. I draw my own particular breed of dragon, they are peaceful like Eastern dragons, and often sport an Eastern-influenced beard. Physically they mostly resemble the malevolent beasts of Western mythology in terms of being generally four legged with bat-like wings, horns and a bony ridge over the eyes.

Theses sketches are roughly in order of age, from oldest to most recent. They are all completely original apart from the first, which was based on a figurine. I recently came across this tattoo design that was clearly based on the same collectible (either that or someone plagiarized mine from my obscure early website - doubtful).

The top view of the dragon in flight was the starting point for my main assessment for year 12 studio arts in 2000. The finished version is in storage so I can't show you that. The close up of the head and neck was made into a lino stamp as a minor piece for the same class.




The pen drawing of the head and arms was to be a full sized serpentine dragon going down the corridor at my last workplace. When I left the head and first couple of sections had been cut out of balsa wood, I don't know if they ever finished it.

I also designed my dragon tattoo, which I got done in February.

Click on the images to see them larger.

1 comment:

crazyhaberdasher said...

Dragons aren't 'my thing' but I appreciate the ability to visualize such a magnificent mythical creature and draw it so well. ...very clever!