Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Debriefing

Wishing everyone a belated Merry Christmas, Happy holidays, all that stuff.

I worked Christmas Day, and am currently on night shift which started on Boxing day, so not happy holidays for me yet. I've taken a week off starting tomorrow - thank (ahem) Christ! A month of extra night shifts is really taking its toll. The money's been good, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it, although some of the shifts I swapped out of were apparently quite chaotic. One of the clients inparticular has been very unsettled in the lead up to Christmas, and has attempted numerous assaults on both staff and clients. I spent Christmas evening keeping her away from a client she was targeting, and an hour ago she got out of bed and tried to attack that same client in her bed (purely and simply because she is an easy target). Thankfully I was able to stop her in time and got hit about the arms and legs instead. Nothing serious, but I'm really over working with these behaviours. I know staff are not supposed to put ourselves in danger, but I'll be damned if I'm about to let a defenseless lady get attacked in her own bed. This is the first night shift that I've had an incident, usually its the afternoon/evening shift (when I usually work most) that gets most of the problems. The difference is that during the day there are two staff on to deal with this stuff.

If I don't get the job that I'm applying for then I'm going to request a transfer. This house is dragging me down. I have lifelong experience with disability and challenging behaviours, but its the malicious intent behind it from this particular client that gets to me. I can forgive anything from a client who lashes out because of frustration and not knowing how to deal with things, but planned assault is a very different thing.

Sorry to whinge. This is not my favourite time of year as a general rule, and I guess I've been letting things get to me. I actually dealt really well with the rubbish on Christmas day, and before work had fun with my year old nephew at the family dinner, so its not all bad. Just feeling the need to debrief at the moment.

New Years should be good. Having a few mates around at my place, and I've going to get the inflatable pool set up, since it's supposed to be a scorcher. Maybe even get the BBQ going. Won't need to light it, with forecast temps of 38C should be able to just chuck the meat on and let it sizzle.

Have a good one!

No comments: