Sunday, December 23, 2007

Storms, Parties, and an Opportunity

It's 4am. Isn't that exciting? You're right. It isn't. Moving on.

The last couple of days have been absolutely crazy, for reasons that have very little to do with it being 2 days before Christmas (counting now as being Sunday morning rather than Sat night and not counting the day itself). The weather has been off the charts. Thursday saw flash flooding, two trams struck by lightning, and most of the train lines out of action. Friday dawned deceptively bright and sunny before the storm clouds returned bringing rain and gale force winds into the night, which continued Saturday. The temperature, meanwhile, only just dropped below summer scorcher levels on Saturday, so you can imagine how muggy it was Thurs and Friday. The rain is supposed to ease off Monday in time for a fine and sunny Christmas day.

Thursday was Rileys 1st birthday, and he had a party at the Standford Hotel, which had a great play area for all the kiddies, complete with face painting. Thankfully the storms had eased off by then so getting there wasn't a hassle. Riley slept through most of his party, but he loved his pressie from me (a singing Elmo toy) and I got a lovely giggly goodbye cuddle.

Friday Chris and I had planned what was supposed to be a Christmas BBQ for our friends. It's just as well our place is all decked out for Christmas since we were stuck inside. Chris manned the grill (thank you baby!), and we had one of those electric fat free grills going as well to cope with the truck load of meat I'd bought. Mum and Dave were also round for dinner on the way back to Castlemaine after visiting Riley for his birthday, as they hadn't been able to come down for his party. It was a good night all in all, apart from the odd spat, and I think everyone liked their pressies. I scored a board game ('Taboo'), and an inflatable pool, which will come in handy when the weather returns to normal.

[Insert segue here. It's night shift so you'll get what you're given and just be greatful that it's more or less coherent.]

I've just finished updating my resume so I can apply for a new job as a community development worker. The position is still within the same company, but a different department. The job deals with advocacy and community inclusion for people with disabilities, and sounds a great deal more rewarding then where I am now. The role is only 3 days a week, so if I got the job I would have to either still work where I am now with reduced hours, or join the casual pool on the side, but if I found I enjoyed the role I could then work towards increasing my hours. I know 4am is not the best time to be working on job applications. I'm leaving the cover letter alone for now, and will go over the resume again at a later stage, just getting started. Even without having ever worked in that specific role I still meet all the selection criteria without any embellishment, and Yooralla seems to prefer hiring from within its own ranks, so I'm feeling pretty positive about my chances. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

catsmum said...

LUCK!
Do you want me to read it over before you send it off?

prueg said...

I will choose to be "greatful" to be reading your post, rather than point out all the speling mistaks.