Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wednesday night rant

Yep, night shift again.

It's just after 3am, and I've gotten almost everything done. The little thats left I'm deliberately leaving until later so that I have something to keep myself awake. I've just been tinkering with the side bar, changing the little tidbits around for those who pay attention to such things. More changes are planned, but they require my own computer. Given the hour it is entirely possible that I will look at what I've done after some sleep and wonder what I was thinking. Chris maintains that 3am is the best time for creative thought because the mind works differently at this hour. Certainly in my Uni days 3am was invariably the time I would wake up with an idea for an assignment that was likely to revolutionise the disability industry. Of course in the morning I would look at whatever I had scribbled down during the night and be unable to comprehend it. The curse of 3am thought is that its brillience can only truely be recognised when 3am again rolls around.

It'e been a bit of an up and down week. My car is hanging on purely and simply because it only overheats when it's held up in traffic too long. As Chris and I are both shift workers, we have thus far managed to avoid peak hour. The car is scheduled to get repaired on Friday, which doesn't suit me at all but it's the only time we could get it in.

On Saturday night we joined Cassie, Dave and Cassie's family for her and her brother's joint birthday celebrations. As they live a fair way out I wasn't game to test the traffic theory with my car, so Nat was good enough to pick us up. First, dinner with the family at a really nice italian resturant that had just opened up. Great staff, wonderful food, and a bill which reflected that standard. After dinner we headed over to her mums place and settled in to play poker til around 3am. Cassie's family were highly amusing as always, a pretty good night on all counts.

The rest of the week has been fairly uneventful. a spot of shopping on Sunday, work Monday and Tuesday. On the plus side I found out yesterday that they have introduced a new pay grade for disability workers with tertiary qualifications. Up til now I have been earning the same as people who only had TAFE certificates, so it will be good to finally get a little recognition for my degree (B App Sc). Not sure how much more I'll be earning but every little bit counts. My supervisor was annoyed that my current level of pay is only a couple of dollars less then hers, but as I'm overqualified to do her job, let alone mine, I see things a little differently. I'm faxing off my academic transcript in the morning, hopefully should hear back fairly soon.

Today was a bit of a blah day. I spent a good portion of it attempting to get some sleep in preparation for tonight and failing dismally. Chris and I also went for a walk to the butchers to pick up some lamb shanks for dinner. Said dinner did not go to plan. Never having cooked shanks before, I was following a recipe. First step of said recipe was to cook onion and carrots in the casserole dish on the stove top. This started off fine... until the bottom fell out of the casserole dish. The lamb shanks are now in the freezer awaiting a new casserole dish to replace the one which had been used only once since it was aquired two weeks ago, and now resides the outside bin. We had Chinese for dinner.

3 comments:

catsmum said...

yeah well that casserole dish probably wasn't meant to go over a naked flame - not many of them ARE unless they're proper Corningware and even then I don't - but I shall keep an eye out for a replacement.
btw Did you find the Degree?

Anonymous said...

I found her Primary School Graduation certificate... I hope that helps!

Nadie said...

The recipe only specified oven-proof casserole dish and left it at that. Next time I'll just do the first half in a separate pot.