Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The power of language

I have been trying to teach my bf to use words to communicate. I have developed a certain knack for expressing myself with a variety of non words (eh, meh, bla, flobadob-blib-blob-bleep, etc). Don't get me wrong, I can be eloquent, sesquipedalian even, on those occasions where I choose to string multiple syllables together. Not intentionally, I just happen to know what a lot of big words mean and use them where appropriate, occasionally to cries of 'smart arse' from my friends. My bf however, takes it to a whole new level, imbibing a simple 'mmm' with a variety of meanings simply by varying the intonation.

We actually had a quite interesting discussion on the difference between the meanings and appropriate use of 'meh' and 'eh' with my mum. Yes, thats right. they have appropriate uses. 'Meh', as it happens, is the more mature and eloquent version of the teen dismissive 'whatever', in other words, 'don't really care, move on', whereas 'eh' can also be an affirmative (as in Lilo and Stitch), an expression of effort (Scrat in Ice Age), or pretty much whatever connotation you choose to associate with it.

Here endeth the lesson

No comments: