Sunday, November 05, 2006

Procrastination as an artform

I always meant to join the procrastination society, but I just never seem to get around to it. Seriously though, have you ever noticed how somethings only ever get done when you should be doing something else? When I was at school, the only time my room would ever be spotless would be when assignments or exam dates were looming. Everything would have to be absolutely perfect, or I couldn't study. Once I ran out of things to clean, and all my papers were perfectly ordered, I would get my oil burner and some music going to help me focus, then spend the afternoon playing with the candle. I would go downstairs regularly because I felt the need for human contact, when at other times of year I would be perfectly content to do my own thing.

The reason for bringing this up is that my housemate is studying for an assessment at her work, and she makes my procrastination skills look poor by comparison. We've spent the afternoon chatting about absolutely everything, from music, past pets, cars, stupid people, and everything inbetween. I would go outside to keep her company on a smoke break, and we'd end up out there so long it would be time for her to have another smoke. Some evenings she's even brought jigsaw puzzles out of her room, shoved all her study material to one side and we've sat there doing them, the only time either of us stick with the bloody things. I have now come into my room so that she can actually get something done because I know she won't ask me to nick off.

Its a good thing that we share similarly eclectic taste in music, given that she studies with rather loud 'background' music. I don't know how she does it, I'd be wanting to stop and focus on the music. The stereo is in the lounge room, which is sort of inbetween the kitchen, where she is, and my bedroom, where the puter is, so its up louder than either of us would want in the room but at a good volume for where each of us is. I'm quite happy to listen to it so thats all to the good. Don't recognise all of it but I quite like what I'm hearing. Might have to knick some of her cd's at some point to put on the puter.

Think I'll go annoy the boy at work now, he finishes in half an hour anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll leave a comment later...